Sunday, February 12, 2012

N.C.'s Studio





In your studio,
I want to wrest you
from the cerulean blue
and the viridian green
of your inscribed palette.


Or - if I cannot pull
you, body and spirit,
out of the dried paint -
won’t you at least
come down from
one of your canvases
to stand on the worn
floorboards again
like a giant
among your props;
costumes, guns,
swords, pipes, jars,
bones and busts?


Standing alone
in the north light
of the studio,
I am much aware
of your technique –
of you.


With no more
than brushes
and oil paints,
you showed us
both dazzling light
and deep shadows -
and how the contrast
of the two could
heighten tensions
that alluded to the
dangers in life.

8 comments:

@okieprof said...

Oh....exhale. No adequate words...this takes my breath away in wonder.

It is so rich...you tell so much truth and feeling --stunning is an overused word, but I can think of no other to respond to how visceral my reaction is.

No wonder my pulse quickens in anticipation when I see you've posted a new poem. Amazing.

Rick said...

You truly get better with every work you create, K.

Bob said...

Beautiful and very intimate... I love the feel of this poem... so good to see more new work of yours up here, Kaye... I've missed it greatly.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Terry, many thanks for your kind words. I hope you get to his studio someday. You will be so inspired.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Hi, Rick! Congratulations on all the good work you are doing over at The Writer and the White Cat Publications. Thanks so much for stopping in. :)

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Bob, thank you, dear poet friend. I am so happy that you are here reading it. Hope all is well in the south.

Of Prisms and Lives said...

Its just marvelous ... I have nothing else to say . Keep blogging. :D

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Of Prisms and Lives - I appreciate your stopping in and leaving a comment.